When starting a business, one of the most important decisions you make is choosing a name. It's not as simple as just picking something that sounds nice; there are a few things you should consider first.
This content will provide tips for choosing the perfect business name for your Australian business. Let’s dive in!
Things to consider before choosing your name
When it comes to choosing a business name, you want something that is catchy, memorable and unique. Keep it to three words or less - any more than that, and people may have trouble remembering it.
Think ahead and pick something that will grow with your business; don’t pick something too specific because if you decide to expand or change direction, your name won’t reflect that.
Ask yourself these questions before committing to any name:
- Is it short and easy to type?
- Is it easy to spell and not prone to spelling errors?
- Is it easy to pronounce?
- Is it appropriate if you translate it into another language?
While you’re here, you might like to download our FREE guide: 10 Mistakes to Avoid When Starting a New Business.
What to do next to find a good business name
Once you’ve narrowed down your choices, do some research online. Google the name, do a trademark search and check that the domain you want is available and that the social media handles are available (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc.).
Make sure there isn't already an established brand with the same or similar name, so you don't confuse them later on down the track.
What not to do when picking a business name
- When selecting a business name, avoid anything too long or complicated.
- Avoid using numbers or hyphens in your domain; people may forget them when they try typing in your URL address.
- Also, steer clear of puns unless they are relevant to your industry - they can confuse customers who may not understand what they mean.
- Don’t use generic terms like “the best” or “the greatest” either - these can sound boastful and off-putting.
- Finally, ensure the name is not offensive or inappropriate - this could land you in hot water later on!
Choosing a business name is important, but there's no need to stress over it. Just take some time to think about what would work best for your company and its future growth goals. Do some research online beforehand, so you don't accidentally take someone else's intellectual property by mistake.
With these tips in mind, finding a great Australian business name should be easier than ever! Good luck!
If you’re looking to start a business, MiTraining has the perfect training for you. Our Certificate III in Entrepreneurship and New Business will help you focus on the most important aspects of starting your own business. The course is 100% online so you can access it anywhere, anytime and study at your own pace. Once complete, you’ll have the tools and skills you need to start and grow a profitable business in Australia.