Building a career in business is one of the most rewarding things you can do. The diversity of the industry means there are thousands of skills worth developing, but leadership and management are two of the most important.
Growing as a leader and learning to manage effective teams is crucial. If you work for someone else, or if you’re getting ready to launch your own company, leading your staff is a skill you’ll need.
There are a few ways you can build your competence as a manager. One of the simplest routes is to study a Diploma of Leadership and Management. Diploma training exposes you to management, communication, critical thinking and decision-making skills that you’ll use throughout your career.
- Leadership & Management Skills: Crucial for career growth in business, particularly for those leading teams or starting companies.
- Diploma Benefits: Offers essential skills in communication, decision-making, and team management.
- Comprehensive Learning: Diploma covers 12 units, including operational management and performance management.
- Career Advancement: Improves communication, critical thinking, and managerial skills, boosting your resume.
- Self-Discovery: Diploma helps identify personal strengths and limitations, aiding professional development.
Listen To This Article
What is a Diploma of Leadership and Management?
A Diploma of Leadership and Management is a nationally accredited qualification that can help you develop your skills as a manager in the workplace.
It takes up to 12 months to complete your diploma. During that time, you’ll learn more about communication, management techniques, problem solving and how to lead effective teams.
The Diploma of Leadership and Management (BSB50420) is made up of 12 units. When studied online, these 12 units can be completed at your own pace. This makes the Diploma ideal for anyone wanting to balance work and study, or for students who want to accelerate their studies.
At the end of course, you’ll receive a diploma-level qualification that will strengthen your resume and help you move into a business management career.
What You'll Learn During Your Diploma
The Diploma of Leadership and Management comprises 12 units of competency (6 core and 6 elective). These units cover a broad range of topics, allowing you to build your skills and knowledge as a manager.
During your diploma you will learn things like:
- How to communicate with workplace teams
- How to lead and manage effective relationships
- Operational management skills
- Effective team management
- How to encourage critical thinking in others
- Performance management
- How to lead meetings
- How to manage personal and professional development
These are crucial skills if you plan to manage teams. Overall, the goal is to strengthen your ability to lead others, boost productivity and encourage your staff to achieve more.
Why Study a Diploma of Leadership and Management
Studying a Diploma of Leadership and Management is a fantastic way to take your career to the next level. If you’re looking to move up the ladder, progress in your management career or build your skills as a leader, this Diploma is for you.
The competencies you undertake during your study will have several major benefits to your professional development:
1. Greater communication skills
Communication skills underpin every aspect of leadership. As a manager, you’ll need to communicate with your team, encourage team members to communicate with each other, and communicate with the broader organisation.
This soft skill is vital and is continuously developed throughout your study. Speaking honestly and effectively improves outcomes and productivity, and helps you get the most from your teams.
A leadership diploma teaches you multiple communication styles that will make you more impactful when running a team and help you convey your ideas, take feedback from staff and inspire others.
2. Improved decision-making and critical thinking
Effective leaders often need to make quick decisions. As a manager, you need to be able to rely on your critical thinking skills to produce smart choices on a consistent basis.
Leadership and management training will help you develop your process and avoid common flaws in the decision-making process. This training not only applies to you personally, it allows you to improve the skills of your team and enhance collective decision-making processes.
Making effective decisions is also crucial in executing your ideas. With a leadership and management foundation, you can further improve your skills with things such as accounting courses which help to ensure your decisions are financially sound.
3. Improved managerial skills
The ultimate goal of a leadership diploma is to improve your skills and abilities as a manager. Communication and decision-making play important roles in management, but you will also learn how to manage effective teams.
This involves delegation, understanding others, critical thinking, decision-making, encouraging personal and professional development, and creating productive workplace relationships. These skills combine to make you a more effective leader, and your management diploma covers each of them.
4. Boost your resume
Many business leadership roles are earned through practical industry experience. Becoming an effective manager is a matter of practice and skill development, rather than formal qualifications. However, you can dramatically improve your resume and boost your likelihood of securing a role with formal training.
A Diploma of Leadership and Management is a fantastic addition to your resume. Alongside your existing work experience, a diploma shows that you have developed management skills, and it demonstrates your readiness to level up your career. If you are looking to break into the industry, or if you want to move up to the next role, a diploma can make your resume stand out.
5. Discover your own limitations
Managing your own personal and professional development is a key skill, particularly in leadership roles. As you move up the ladder, your ability to take control of your own development will allow you to achieve almost anything.
The structured format of a leadership and management diploma helps to highlight your strengths, weaknesses and limitations.
Competency-based diplomas provide a consistent framework for assessing your abilities and learning new skills. This helps to identify areas of improvement and allows you to manage your progress more effectively.
Additionally, management diplomas are led by professionals with real-world experience. They provide mentorship throughout the course, which can significantly reduce the time it takes to learn new skills and maximise your potential.
Careers Related to a Diploma of Leadership and Management
Studying a Diploma of Leadership and Management is your pathway into a broad range of managerial roles. Your skills as a manager will be highly transferable between teams and industries. This means you can use your diploma to help advance your career in any company!
Undertaking formal management training can lead to roles such as:
- Team leader: A team leader is responsible for managing a single team. Depending on the size of the company, this could be a handful or dozens of people. You will be responsible for maintaining productivity levels, ensuring the quality of work, managing budgets and helping your team members succeed in their roles.
- Supervisor: Supervisors are typically responsible for managing departments. This often involves managing multiple teams and ensuring your department is working effectively. As a supervisor, you can expect to have less to do with day-to-day work, with your role focusing on tasks such as rostering, task delegation and human resource management.
- Operations manager: The operations manager is generally responsible for overseeing the day-to-day of an entire company, or multiple departments. Your responsibilities could include finance, human resources, customer service, sales, business processes, professional development and more. Depending on the role, this could involve getting hands-on with your team, or directing overall strategy.
Grow Your Career with a Diploma of Leadership and Management at MiTraining
A BSB50420 Diploma of Leadership and Management is your pathway to becoming the best leader you can be. The skills and knowledge you learn as part of your diploma will serve as the foundation for a rewarding career in any industry. If you’re ready to level up and achieve more, MiTraining offers the diploma training you’re looking for!
MiTraining is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) that offers a huge range of business and management training. Our courses are designed for professionals at every career level. If you’re starting out, looking for the next opportunity, or getting ready to build your own business, our diploma training can help.
You can learn more about our Diploma of Leadership and Management online. The course has limited intakes throughout the year, so enrol now to secure your spot!