This course is suited to people who have no experience and are looking to start their career in records and information management.
Learn the essential skills to use knowledge management systems, control records and retrieve information in addition to critical thinking skills and workplace communication.
What You'll Learn
MiTraining delivers online training courses and qualifications with set electives. This means the elective units of competency shown in the course structure below were chosen to reflect the work outcomes, skills and knowledge required to be successful in a contemporary workplace at this level.
|Subject||Unit Code||Unit Name||Core/Elective||Duration|
|Part One||BSBCRT311||Apply critical thinking skills in a team environment||Core||3 weeks|
|Part One||BSBPEF201||Support personal wellbeing in the workplace||Core||3 weeks|
|Part Two||BSBSUS211||Participate in sustainable work practices||Core||3 weeks|
|Part Two||BSBTWK301||Use inclusive work practices||Core||3 weeks|
|Part Three||BSBWHS311||Assist with maintaining workplace safety||Core||3 weeks|
|Part Three||BSBXCM301||Engage in workplace communication||Core||3 weeks|
|Part Four||BSBTEC301||Design and produce business documents||Elective||3 weeks|
|Part Four||BSBWRT311||Write simple documents||Elective||3 weeks|
|Part Five||BSBPEF301||Organise personal work priorities||Elective||3 weeks|
|Part Five||BSBINS302||Organise workplace information||Elective||3 weeks|
|Part Six||BSBINS303||Use knowledge management systems||Elective||3 weeks|
|Part Six||BSBINS307||Retrieve information from records||Elective||3 weeks|
|Part Seven||BSBINS308||Control records||Elective||3 weeks|
- Monday 2 October 2023
- Monday 6 November 2023
- Monday 4 December 2023
This qualification comprises 13 units of competency (6 core and 7 elective) and is delivered over seven teaching periods.
You’ll undertake the units in “blocks” to help you manage the course work and assessment. There is a maximum of up to 12 months allowed to complete all units and assessments in the qualification.
Some students choose to progress more quickly through the qualification. The total time it takes to complete the qualification usually depends on your previous work experience, how much time you have available between work commitments and the pace at which you prefer to study.
There are no formal educational entry requirements for this course. To support you to successfully complete the qualification you must meet the following entry requirements:
- Aged 18 at the time of enrolment, or turning 18 within 6 months of commencing the course. Applicants under the age of 18 must have their enrolment paperwork witnessed by a parent or guardian.
- Entry into this course is dependent on successful completion of Language, Literacy and Numeracy Assessment.
- All of our courses are delivered in English. If English is your second language you may need to provide the results of an English language test that you have recently undertaken. We require proof of your English language capabilities to ensure that you can understand the course content and assessment requirements.
- Minimum computer literacy standards as well as unrestricted access to the internet. You must have knowledge of and access to Office 365 as well as the ability to record assessments.
- Eligibility to provide a Unique Student Identifier (USI) at enrolment. Creating or looking up your USI is a simple process that can be done online.
- Have access to one, or a range of, workplace environments (past or present) that will provide you with the opportunity to complete a range of assessment tasks that are based on/in a real workplace environment.
View the Student Handbook for more information.
Course Delivery and Support
This course is delivered online via MiTraining’s Learning Management System (LMS). Once your application has been approved, you will be provided with access to the course materials including:
- Course content and reading materials
- Activities and assessments
- Discussion forums
- Additional course resources
You will have the support of a dedicated, experienced trainer who will provide you with feedback and guidance on the course assessment.
Undertaking this qualification will require you to complete a range of assessments to assess your competency against the performance criteria. Assessments have been designed with a focus on workplace outputs.
A variety of assessment methods are used:
- Assessing theoretical and applied knowledge
- Assessing the application of skills through projects, scenarios and demonstrations
- Gathering evidence that shows your ability to perform key tasks
Each assessment method provides a different type of evidence. Taken together, the complete assessment provides a holistic view of your ability to perform competently and confidently to the level set down in the Competency Standards.
To be issued with a qualification testamur students must be deemed competent in each unit of competency and meet all requirements of the course.
MiTraining offers interest-free payment plan options. After paying an initial $200 deposit, the remaining course fees will be paid by weekly or fortnightly instalments.
Fees for Trainees
Undertaking the qualification as part of a traineeship may reduce the course fees. Please contact MiTraining to discuss your options.
Please read the Available as a Traineeship section on this page for more information.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is an assessment pathway that enables you to demonstrate competence from prior experience and learning. RPL applications require a portfolio of evidence which will be assessed, together with a competency conversation or skills test/check.
For more information view the RPL Policy or download the RPL Application Form on the Policies and Procedures page.
Available as a Traineeship
Traineeships are designed for those entering the workforce to develop skills and knowledge as a foundation for a successful career. Put simply, you'll undertake paid employment to learn real job skills while completing this nationally recognised qualification.
To be enrolled into a traineeship, you will need to look for an employer to hire you. MiTraining's sister company, MIGAS Apprentices &Trainees, is a Group Training Organisation that offers Business Traineeships across Australia. To view the latest traineeships including this qualification visit the MIGAS website.
To undertake a traineeship you must be of working age and an Australian citizen or permanent resident. A business traineeship is available to school leavers, those re-entering the workforce, or mature age individuals wishing to change careers or gain new skills
If you are considering a traineeship with this qualification please enquire with MiTraining or apply for a trainee role with MIGAS before submitting your enrolment application.